Jan 22, 2016

Posted by | 0 Comments

First aid tips in soldering: Rosin fume ingestion

First aid tips in soldering: Rosin fume ingestion

You should be very careful when using your iCooker or any other soldering iron – http://www.amazon.com/iCooker-Soldering-Iron-Watt-Solder/dp/B01774KARE.

Rosin fumes are produced during soldering when rosin-based flux heats up. Depending on the extent and level of exposure, effects will include eye irritation, nose irritation and in some cases within the respiratory system. There may also be an asthmatic reaction especially if a sensitive individual is exposed to the fumes over a relatively long time. Fume ingestions are usually easier to avoid than treat due to the accumulation within the body that eventually leads to poisoning. If these fumes are ingested, here are a few first aid tips to consider.

In case of rosin fume inhalation

The first step is to get the patient to a place with clean fresh air. Normally, this is outside the house. This ensures that the patient does not inhale further rosin fumes and that they get the required amounts of oxygen for internal organs. However, if the patient was exposed to the fumes for a long time, they may experience respiratory problems. In case of this, contact emergency services immediately.

In case of contact with skin

Prolonged exposure will often result to skin irritation. If this happens, wash the affected area with soap and large amounts of running water. This should be continued until the irritation stops. However, this is easier avoided than rectified.

In case of contact with eyes

The fumes will cause eye irritation. The patient should clean the eyes with running water for at least 20 minutes. This is reasonable time for the irritation to stop. However, if it persists, it is advisable to seek further medical attention. For accidental flux ingestion, do not take untrained steps. The patient should instead be rushed to the nearest medical facility for specialized care.

Read More
Jan 18, 2016

Posted by | 0 Comments

First Aid Tips In Soldering: Lead ingestion

First Aid Tips In Soldering: Lead ingestion

The use of lead in soldering has been heavily restricted and in some places entirely banned. However, it is still in mild use in some places around the world. Lead fumes accumulate in the body and eventually cause lead poisoning, a condition most prevalent in young children. The slow nature of lead ingestion implies that short term first aid measures may not be applicable. In this article, we will look at curative and preventive measures against lead poisoning.

Getting rid of the sources of lead

These are quite many though this varies on your country and the regulations that govern the use of lead. In households, the most common sources include chipped lead paint, dust and old electrical appliances. Modern appliances have little if any amounts of lead due to the rules set in place restricting the use of the heavy metal in household items. Dust from the chipped paint is also a large source of lead. Such houses should therefore have the paint scrapped off and repainted in non-lead paint.

Ensuring good balanced diets

Good nutrition often ensures that a person has sufficient minerals in their bodies. This in turn leads to lesser ingestion of lead than a person with poor dietary balance. Foods with high levels of iron are advisable for people with high lead accumulation.

Chelation therapy

This basically involves taking medicines that help remove the lead from blood. Normally, this step is taken if the above two steps have failed. These medicines contain compounds that attach to lead and help remove it from the blood. However, like any other type of fume ingestion, preventive measures are always easier, safer and cheaper than treatment.

Read More
Jan 10, 2016

Posted by | 0 Comments

First Aid Tips in Soldering: Fire

First Aid Tips in Soldering: Fire

Soldering equipment rely heavily on electric power or flames as sources of heat. However, these also pose a risk in that they are potential causes of household fires. In case of a house fire, it is important to understand a few basics about dealing with it that may just save your life. Some of these include:

Have a known escape route

This should always be planned and communicated to every member of the household. The route should be free of major obstacles and should lead to an open space, preferably outside.

Escape

If a fire breaks out, the only thing on your mind should be to escape. Do not pause to investigate the cause of the fire, salvage belongings or any other item. However, ensure that everyone in the house knows there is a fire. If there is smoke, it is advisable to crawl on the floor as opposed to running upright. This is done to reduce the risk of smoke inhalation. Smoke is usually poisonous and greatly reduces your chances of making it out of a fire alive.

In case your clothes catch fire

If this happens, ensure you do not turn around. This will have the effect of fanning the flame and will only make it bigger and burn faster. Instead, roll on the ground once you have the space and chance to do so. If possible, cover yourself in heavy clothing or fabric such as a blanket. This deprives the fire of oxygen causing it to go off.

If you sustain minor burns

For whichever reason that you may encounter injury while soldering, knowledge of basic first aid procedures would really help, especially for minor hazards. However, it is always advisable to contact emergency services for serious injuries that may be sustained. The burn should be soothed in cold water and all blisters cleaned and bandaged. It may be necessary to take painkillers and see a doctor if pain and discomfort persists.

Read More